Welcome to the home site for the Interscholastic Online News Network.
The Interscholastic Online News Network (ISONN) is a set of individuals, academic programs, high schools and professional organizations dedicated to connecting student web journalists and high school news websites and to advancing education in web and online journalism at the scholastic level.
The network is part of the Intercollegiate Online News Network (ICONN), a non-profit (501-c-3 pending) organization.
ISONN – A vital and growing network of high school news websites
View ISONN News Websites in a larger map
Find out more
• If you want to know more about ISONN, visit our About page.
• If you are affiliated with a news website interested in joining the network, you may do so by filling out the form on our Join page. ISONN has no membership or entry fees.
• If you are seeking information about the JeffersonNet content management system that drives many of the websites in the ISONN news-advertising network, check on this page on the site.
Member sites of ISONN agree to share their originally produced content with other member sites and also agree to give appropriate credit to the originating site.
Journalism education books now on the iPad
A series of journalism texts built specifically for the iPad is now available to high school and journalism teachers and students.
(Watch the trailer video about this series.)
The Intercollegiate Online News Network (ICONN), in association with First Inning Press, is producing a series of journalism-related texts for the iPad. Overall, this growing set of titles is called the Tennessee Journalism Series.
Each text was built especially for the iPad and is suitable for high school or college journalism classes. Each has a variety of multimedia elements including video, audio, photo galleries and other interactive resources.
Most of these texts contain an abridged version of the First Amendment text. (A stand-alone free version of the First Amendment book is also available.)
Each text is $1.99 on the iBookstore.
Here are links to the iTunes pages for the textbooks:
- Introduction to Journalism
- Reporting: An Introduction
- Photojournalism: Telling Stories with Pictures and Words
- The First Amendment
- Writing Like a Journalist
- Feature Writing (Lisa Gary)
- Going Online: A Primer for Teachers and Students Who Want to Start a News Website
- The Devil and His Due: James Gordon Bennett, the Penny Press, and the Beginnings of Modern Journalism (Dwight Teeter)
The textbooks themselves can only be viewed and downloaded with an iPad.
The text also have print and Kindle editions. Most of the print editions are $4.99 and available at Amazon. The Kindle editions are $1.99. Find out more about this series at the Tennessee Journalism Series home page.
The ISONN NewsStream, the news service of the Intercollegiate Online News Network, has been launch and is now in full operation. The service will provide fresh, relevant content for ICONN news websites on a regular basic and also offer an opportunity for collegiate journalists to have their work appear on other ICONN sites. READ MORE . . .